1. The length of a rectangle is 4 feet more than the width. If the area of the rectangle is 136 ft2
what are the dimensions of the rectangle?
2. The area of some rectangle is 35 in2. Four times the width of this rectangle is the
same as 3 inches more than twice the length.
What are the dimensions of the rectangle?
3. The area of a triangle is 28 m2 and the height
of the triangle is 2 meters less than 5 times the base. What are the height and base of this triangle?
4. Two cars start out at the same spot. One car starts to drive north at 18 mph 5
hours before the second car starts driving to the east at 32 mph. How long after the first car starts driving
does it take for the two cars to be 350 miles apart?
5. Two cars start out at the same point and at the same time
one starts driving north while the other starts driving east at a speed that is
4 mph faster than the car driving north.
Twelve hours after the cars start driving they are 600 miles apart. What was the speed of each car?
6. Two people can paint a house in 21 hours. Working individually one of the people can
paint the house in 6 hours more than it takes the other person to paint the
house. How long would it take each
person working individually to paint the house?